Thank you for being a friend and supporter. Together, we bring much needed awareness to the beauty of women in service and their challenging reintegration to civilian life.
Highlights of 2013:
* Locating a six-story building that will be the new home of The Shining Beacon House, a New York City residence for homeless women veterans and their children. We have gone to contract on this property.
* Producing six Shining Makeovers with such wonderful establishments as Bloomingdale's, John Barrett Salon at Bergdorf Goodman, Julien Farel, L'Appartement Hair Boudoir, Riccardo Maggiore, and Cactus Salons and Spas.
* Starting new relationships with generous sponsors: Anne Klein, Bloomingdale's 59th Street, Bobbi Brown, TGI Fridays, Toshiba Business Solutions, and Godiva Chocolates.
* Formation of a wonderful Advisory Board which is ready and able to take Shining Service to the next level of service.
2014 and Beyond:
* Opening the doors of The Shining Beacon House.
* Producing a festive Super Bowl Celebration at Toshiba Business Solutions' beautiful space high above Times Square.
* Scheduling six more inspiring Shining Service Makeovers.
* Developing new events catering to the men who support our military gals.
* Collaborating on new partnerships targeting continued growth in 2014. Conversations underway with SUS (Services for the Underserved), Operation Warrior Wellness - David Lynch Foundation, The National Air Force Salute, and JP Morgan Chase - Military and Veteran Affairs.
Special thanks to United Veterans Beacon House, our Fiscal Sponsor. Their dedication to helping military veterans inspires us every day.
We are excited about what the future holds for our organization. Please help us make our wishes come true with your online donation - just click here. With your continued support The Shining Beacon House will be there to provide the services and supportive resources necessary to help our women successfully reintegrate after their service to our country.
THEY HAVE SERVED US - NOW IT'S OUR TURN TO SERVE THEM!
Linda Franklin, Founder
By ROBERT DRAPER - NOV. 26, 2014
Kris, the only woman among 70 aviators in her squadron, was assaulted by another officer.
Credit Alec Soth/Magnum, for The New York Times